Things happen in life. I take those things and process them in a certain way within me.
When some things happen, I create an atmosphere of pleasantness and ease within. When other things happen, I create unpleasantness and unease within. I have the power to create heaven or I can create hell.
I have been seeking a way to live where it doesn’t matter what happens to me, because I am an expert at keeping my internal environment as pleasant and peaceful as I desire.
Here are some ways that we create hell within, and some ways we can open the doors to heaven instead.
Hell is being obsessed with what other people think of us.
- Realizing that people project their own experiences.
- It is not personal.
- When we live to conform to another person’s opinion about us, we choose to live in their cage.
- We have an inner wisdom about the truth of ourselves and our life that no one else can know, and one that does not need to be explained.
Hell is living in the past, yearning for “the golden years” that have passed.
- Present moment awareness
- Clarity of inner vision for right now.
- Rooting yourself in reality.
- When you are getting swept up into a past memory/fantasy – ask yourself “What are three things that are absolutely true right now.”
- Making the now “golden”
- Don’t wait for closure, decide it is closed.
- Self awareness and understanding of why things happened the way they did.
- This moment is the only real and precious thing we have. Everything else is illusion.
- Meditations to release our stickiness to the past.
- Traveling through life lightly.
Hell is feeling miserable doing things that need to be done.
- Wanting to do the things we need to do is bliss.
- If we can do the things that need to be done with openness, contentment, and joy – we are unlocking happiness.
- Ask yourself – what is the most peaceful and most joyful way I can do this task?
- Make everything you do into the most wonderful thing it can be.
- Responsibility is not a burden, it is an opportunity to know life better.
Hell is blame.
- A birds-eye view of everyones contribution, and a compassionate understanding that we do the best we can with what we know.
- Heaven is taking responsibility for your own contribution.
- When you know better you do better.
- Heaven is a healing that is not dependent on anyone or anything else.
Hell is fear and anxiety about things that may or may not happen.
- Knowing that fear does not exist in the present moment. There is only fear in an imagined moment that may or may not happen.
- You are wasting your time, energy and emotions on an imagined moment.
- Heaven is taking the next right step.
- Heaven is conscious action in the right direction.
- You will always rise to what life brings you.
- Everything that scares you is bravery training.
- Everything that scares you is an opportunity to come alive to life.
Hell is repeating patterns and cycles of suffering/abuse/unconsciousness in your life.
- Noticing the generational karmic patterns.
- Noticing the cycles of your life – same lessons, different teachers.
- Heaven is doing something different.
- Heaven is making a different choice.
Hell is a numbness to life, where it takes something big to happen for you to feel a little joy.
- Delighting in the smallest things.
- Increase your sensitivity to life through kriya and meditation.
- Assert yourself into life less, instead just sit back and observe.
- Watch, listen, wait, observe, marvel.
- Redefine happiness, success, peace, what matters to you.
Hell is judging and labeling others.
- Every label you place on someone or something, will be your prison.
- Every time you judge someone negatively, at some point in your life you will be placed in a similar situation where you will be pushed to make a similar choice as the person you judged.
- The first thought you have in your mind about a person/situation is what you have been taught to think. The second thought is a choice. Make that choice.
Hell is self sabotage
- Notice what and when you self sabotage, and why you do it.
- Learn how to grow good things.
- Growing good things take work. It is a labour of love. Spend some time working on good things, and you will start to feel like you do deserve to have it.
- Stability can feel boring.
- Dysfunction often masquerades as “passion”, but it is destructive.
- Teach yourself to to find intensity in depth of experience rather than the breadth of them.
Self reflection prompts
- What are some ways you create hell within you?
- What could set you free?
- What are practical and daily ways to live the things that set you free?